Sunday, February 05, 2006

Are you kidding me.....Lions win in a STUNNER

While I have been critical of our Basketball team in the past, over the last few games they have made me proud. They too appear to be, as Joe Paterno likes to say, "only a couple of players away." Of course, a couple of players can have a huge impact on a b-ball team.

The point is, that by living in Chicago I have been able to watch Penn State, on television, lose close games to Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. But when I knew the Penn State - Illinois games was going to be on TV and I already had Saturday night plans, I made no attempt to watch or even DVR the game. If it was a football game, the day would have been planned around it....but not for basketball....at least not yet.

So, this morning when I awoke the first thing I did was to grab the newspaper. I then said to my girlfriend, before looking at the front page, that the headline would be "Penn State beats the Illini". NOPE, not on the front page.

But then I turned to the Sports section....and guess what? PENN STATE WON!!! Here is the Chicago Tribune article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-0602050304feb05,1,1366903.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I did a little dance for about 30 seconds, when she told me it was enough. I could not believe it...I even turned on Sports Center and the Penn State win (or Illinois loss depending on your point of view) was the #3 story of the day. (Super Bowl thing was first, followed by Detroit's run at the NBA season record).

Here is my simple congrats to Ed and the team. What a huge morale boost for the team, right before a three game home stand, which includes some easier games!!!

Thnk about what this win means:
  • Beat the #6 team in the b-ball rankings
  • Second road win in three years...in front of a hostile 16,000+ crowd
  • Keeps the season record above .500, which could earn an invite to the NIT
  • MAJOR national exposure for the win....which helps with recruiting!
  • And this was done with a hurt, but soon to be named "Freshman of the year" Cornley

Way to go boys, We are....Penn State!

No comments: